What is this new Bing, with chatGPT?
The new Bing integrates a chatbot that uses chatGPT. Chatgpt is an artificial intelligence technology that generates natural and relevant answers to questions and messages. Therefore, this new Bing can summarize the information it discovers in the search results (including PDF documents) but it can also give you directly the answer to your question.
Note that Bing Chat will be integrated into the last version of Edge. To access it, you must download the Microsoft Edge Developer version and click on the logo “B” in the upper right.
Semactic has preview access to the beta of the new Bing, so we were able to test it for a few weeks.
Here is our opinion on the new Bing after 2 weeks of use.
Bing surprised us with its ability to summarize content and answer our questions. Indeed, It does very well to summarize search results or to give a precise answer to a question. However, in our opinion, we found the search results still less qualitative than on Google.
What did we like?
- Each result is associated with a source, which allows you to verify the information quickly or explore a point in detail. All our research was very well documented. There is good rigor, and much work has been done by the developers to ensure that each source used is cited. This will probably be the future of SEO as far as informational searches are concerned.
- The answers can be very precise for some queries, and you get the information without having to make a single click.
- The other suggested questions are very relevant: “What are Semactic’s services and terms?”, “How do I contact Celine Naveau or Kevin Coppens?” “What is SEO and how does it work?”
In our case, it wasn’t obvious because neither Celine nor myself presented ourselves as CEO (Actually, Celine is CMO, but that was quite a play on Bing’s part 😉 )
What do we like less?
- Results not quite up to date … And even in contradiction in the different result areas.
- The results are a bit messy and not very clear. In our opinion, the design and the UX are to be reviewed…
- The double window for the chat (in the search results on the right) but also in a separate window on top. It creates confusion, we would have preferred to have all the answers in one place (just before the search results?). In our opinion, a better integration with the search results is essential. That said, the information given is very qualitative:
To sum up, although there are some negative aspects, we are quite satisfied with this new Bing. We are, therefore closely monitoring the developments of Google Bard (The technology Google is developing to provide more accurate answers based on AI (Learn more on Google blog) – similar to chatgpt). So far, Google Bard is limited to providing summaries of results without really mentioning the sources. This is a big black mark. We hope that this will be corrected when it is released.
How can I test the new Bing with chatGPT in preview?
To have access to the new Bing, you should follow those steps:
- Install the mobile app of Bing
- Use edge with Bing as default rbowser
- Ensure you are connected for both with your microsoft account
- Start to search on Bing every day
- Complete the challenge that allow you to earn points faster (Microsoft reward)
For us, it took about 10-15 days to have the access, once we have reached about 450 search points
What makes Bing different from other search engines?
Bing uses advanced artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to provide more personalized and relevant search results. It also integrates with other Microsoft products, such as Windows and Edge, for a seamless user experience.
Can Bing compete with Google as the dominant search engine in the future?
While Google is currently the dominant search engine, Bing has steadily been gaining market share in recent years. With its advanced AI capabilities and Microsoft’s resources, it is possible that Bing could become a major player in the future of internet search.
What are the differences in term of SEO between Bing and google ?
The differences in terms of SEO to rank on Bing compared to Google can be summarized in the following points:
- Keyword Research: Bing and Google both use keyword research to understand the content of a webpage. However, Bing tends to favor exact-match keywords, while Google has become more semantic in its approach to understanding user intent.
- Backlinks: Bing places more emphasis on backlinks as a ranking factor compared to Google. However, Bing’s algorithms are more conservative when evaluating the quality of backlinks.
- Social Signals: Bing takes into account social signals, such as likes, shares, and comments from social media platforms, to determine the popularity and relevance of a website. While Google also considers social signals, it is less significant a ranking factor than it is for Bing.
- Page Loading Speed: Both Bing and Google consider page loading speed as an important factor for ranking, but Bing tends to be more forgiving with slower loading pages compared to Google.
In summary, while there are some differences in how Bing and Google rank websites, the basic principles of SEO, such as having high-quality content and relevant keywords, still apply to both search engines.